No announcement yet.

’91 3B Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking really good there Dave. Certainly a bit different from the sorry, stripped out silver S2 that I saw at Corey's last year!!

Where did you get those Catch tanks?
    '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Something funny 'bout that RS Blue on a Coupe - great colour normally, but maybe its cos the lowers aren't color coded. Just looks strangely weird in the photos. Masses of money going in there.

What went wrong with the flywheel ?

I know the Cees one is a custom alloy piece - IMO the 3B item is light enough for road use.

I'd have put an 01E or 016 gearbox on that thing when running GT3071 torque levels.

Hope it all works out for you.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

My favourite aspect of the [then] silver S2 was directly from the front. I think the stock front bumper looks quite mean with its square shape and I prefer it over the sleeker lines of the RS2 front bumper. I had contemplated a late cabrio front bumper, with it being the same shape as the RS2 but not completely colour-coded. Eventually, I decided against it. With it now RS Blue, directly from the front is my least favourite aspect, as the colour is somewhat lost with the busyness of lights and grills. I now prefer it at an angle, so you get a chance to get a good block of colour. I reckon you're right - those that don't like RS Blue on a Coupe is probably because of the lower trims. I chose not to go down the colour coding route as I think that would've given the car a much more modern look than I wanted. I reckon I can get away with the exterior tweaks not being too "Max Power" and colour coding is fine on its own, but put the two together and I'd have been at risk of tampering too much with the S2's classic looks. Besides, Nogaro is my favourite colour, but I'm not ready to get my slippers and a pipe for a herse .

How did you feel about the (I think Swedish) full Coupe rebuild in RS Blue that had RS2 bumpers/wing mirrors and colour coding? If you liked that one, then it must be down to the trims. If you're ever coming through Warwickshire you're welcome to have a look in person.

I can't tell you much more about the flywheel, other than the steel pin snapped off leaving Mark's garage, the RAC charged £125 to get it back to Corey's and it's not really possible to weld back on through the starter motor, so it's coming out. I'm more than happy to have the extra mass of a 3B flywheel. I'll put the ally one up to decorate a wall. My old MAF housing is going to be used as a pencil holder!

With hindsight, I should've gone straight to 016, but by the time the turbo plans changed from GT2871 to GT3071 the ARV 'box had already been reconditioned. I'll just wait and see how I get on. As a track car, I could offset the extra weight of an 01E by removing the air-con and ProConTen cable, but I want use as a road car for a while first.
        Last edited by S2_Dave; 28 January 2008, 13:58. Reason: 01E not O1E
        David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by merlin's S4 View Post
          Looking really good there Dave. Certainly a bit different from the sorry, stripped out silver S2 that I saw at Corey's last year!!

Where did you get those Catch tanks?
          At times it's looked like a donor car!

Corey sourced the catch tanks from a local fabricator.
          David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Dave is it not possible to have the pin drilled out from behind and a new one pressed in? This is how i done mine when it snapped
            Chef

Comment

Pressed in without having to take the flywheel out?
              David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by S2_Dave View Post
                Pressed in without having to take the flywheel out?
                Ah... Nope i took it out
                Chef

Comment

Yeah, if it's gotta come out to be fixed, it's not going back in. Corey's plan was to take it out and fix it, but I'm hoping a 3B FW can be found quick enough to be used instead. I may have the ally one fixed to sell it and recoup the cost of a used 3B FW.
                  David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Yeah, if it's gotta come out to be fixed, it's not going back in. Corey's plan was to take it out and fix it, but I'm hoping a 3B FW can be found quick enough to be used instead. I may have the ally one fixed to sell it and recoup the cost of a used 3B FW.
                    Is this one of Cees?

I have a lightend 3B and i may have a spare ... I will have a look in my stash of parts
                    Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                      Is this one of Cees?

I have a lightend 3B and i may have a spare ... I will have a look in my stash of parts
                      Thanks James. Yeah, it's definitely one of Cees', bought and fitted at MRC.
                      David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Time for a quick update

Here's a pic of the missing pin on the aluminium flywheel.
                        David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

And the Sachs clutch has arrived.

David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

A couple more shots...

Dave which company made that 3" downpipe?

Comment

??

And the Sachs clutch has arrived.

hello do you have the nrs for this clutch and what power is it rated for??
                              japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
                              www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                                Dave which company made that 3" downpipe?
                                It started life as an 034 downpipe, but it's since had fabrication work arranged by Corey.
                                David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X